Amazon

Monday, December 1, 2008

Here we go...



Just over two years ago, I left a 20-year career in computer software development to do what I'd wanted to do since I was a teenager -- work as a professional photographer. I've been taking photos seriously since I was 14, had my first picture published in a national magazine at 16, and was all set to become a photojournalist...until I didn't. Instead I wrote programs, made video games, and managed people for all that time -- making great money, but always being a hard-core photo enthusiast on the side, and every now and then wishing I'd taken a different course...



Was I crazy to try this in my 40's? Probably! It's certainly been a struggle, lots of hard work, and I don't make nearly as much money as I used to. But while I may be a bit slow on the uptake, I finally did follow my dream. I've had some good success, and some spectacular failures. I'm learning more every day -- and I'm shooting *something* every day. It sure feels great to follow (even very late) your dream job. And sometimes the reality is just like I dreamed it would be!

I started this blog for several reasons: to vent when I get discouraged or frustrated, to share the joy when something goes well...but more than anything else, to hopefully share what I learn about getting jobs, running the business side, perfecting the craft, and enjoying the ride with others who have done or are thinking of doing the same thing. I hope others find it interesting or useful.

Come on back for more as I get things rolling!


3 comments:

  1. I'm really psyched to be here along for the ride. Thanks for sharing your insight and wisdom with all of us out there in reader land.

    Stay happy and healthy,
    Brody

    ReplyDelete
  2. This should be interesting. Can't wait to see what comes next.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I envy you, that you have followed your dreams. It is never too late to reach for the stars.

    ReplyDelete